header images

signaturelogo

Princess of Wales

Jewelry

(Click On Images To View Full Size)

The Sapphire & Diamond Engagement Ring

The Sapphire and Diamond Engagement Ring

engagement ring

Created by Garrards in 1980, the ring featured an 12-carat oval Ceylon sapphire surrounded by 14 solitaire cut diamonds and set in 18-carat white gold. Urban legend says that the Princess selected the ring because it was "the biggest" in a tray of rings sent over by Garrards, but the Princess herself said that the ring was selected by the Queen and Prince Charles.

The ring was later presented to the Duchess of Cambridge on the occasion of her engagement to Prince William.

Top Image © www.dianapow.com

 

The Wedding Band of Welsh Gold

The wedding band of Welsh gold

The Princess' wedding ring was made from the last of a soft nugget of Welsh gold, mined at the famous Clogau St David's gold mine - the same nugget which had also provided wedding rings for the Queen Mother, the Queen, Princess Margaret, and Princess Anne. The simple gold band is engraved on the inside with the words: "I Love You, Diana"

Image © www.dianapow.com

 

The Spencer Tiara
The Spencer Tiara
        
Supersized Image. Click on 
image to enlarge, and then
use the +/- magnifying glass
to view full zise.

A gold tiara in the form of scrolling foliage and tulip and star shaped flowers decorated with diamonds in silver settings.

The tiara is entirely composite and not an heirloom, as has been previously suggested. The central element was a gift from Lady Sarah Spencer to Cynthia, Viscountess Althorp, as a wedding present in 1919.. The tiara was remounted in 1927 by Asprey and Co., Ltd., and four other elements were made to match the central element, with stones taken from various items of jewelry donated by the Spencer family.

The two elements at the end are said to have come from a tiara owned by Francis, Viscountess Montagu and left to Lady Sarah Spencer in 1875.

The tiara is on display, along with the Princess' wedding gown and other items in the exhibition "Diana-A Celebration". Between July 1st and August 31 of each year, the exhibition is open at Althorp.

 

The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Originally owned by Queen Mary, this silver, diamond, and pearl tiara was created by Garrards in 1914 to the Queen's design, and from pearls and diamonds in her collection.

It was a copy of one owned by Queen Mary's grandmother - a popular design of the 19th century, there are five known versions still in existence.

Originally, the tiara featured pearl spikes above each of the lover's bowknots, but Queen Mary later had those removed and made into a necklace.

Queen Elizabeth II wore this tiara on numerous occasions, and presented it to the Princess on the occasion of her wedding in 1981.

Image © HM Queen Elizabeth II
Information Courtesy Leslie Field: "The Queen's Jewels:The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II"
Published 1987 Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, NY.

 

Lady Diana's Rings
Lady Diana's Rings

As Lady Diana Spencer, working and living in London prior to her engagement, the Princess was often photographed wearing two rings on her right hand - a Cartier Russian wedding ring of three yellow gold bands on her little finger, which was a gift from her parents on her 18th birthday; and a band of round diamonds set in white gold on her third finger, from the Spencer family collection. These rings were rarely seen during her marriage, although they remained in the Princess' collection. Occasionally the Princess was photographed wearing both on her left hand.

Image © www.dianapow.com

 

The Aquamarine Ring

The Aquamarine Ring

The Princess was first photographed wearing this ring at the preview reception for the Christie's Auction of her gowns in London, and again when she visited Sydney, Australia the same summer. The ring, an emerald cut aquamarine flanked by small, solitaire diamonds and set in 24-carat yellow gold, was commissioned by the Princess from Asprey in 1997.

At the Christie's Auction reception, The Princess teamed it with her band of diamonds set in white gold, from the Spencer collection, on the third finger of her left hand.

Image © www.dianapow.com

 

The Swan Lake Suite
The Swan Lake Suite

The Princess wore this necklace to the royal gala performance of the ballet Swan Lake at the Royal Albert Hall in London in June 1997. The necklace was created by Garrards in the spring of 1997 with Diana's "knowledge and assistance" and included five of the Princess's favourite jewels - South Sea pearls.

She wore the necklace to the gala performance before returning it to the jewellers for the accompanying pearl and diamond earrings to be completed. Her untimely death prevented her purchase of the suite.

Garrards arranged a private sale of the suite to an English couple, who offered the jewels for sale a few years later through Guernsey's Auctioneers. They were then purchased by a Texas memorabilia collector, who planned to put the gems on display at his Houston furniture business. The English couple who originally owned the suite donated a significant portion of the proceeds from the auction to the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund.

Image © BBC News
Information Courtesy BBC News

 

The King Faisal of Saudi Arabia Necklace
Ling Faisal of Saudi Arabia necklace
Supersized Image.Click on 
 image to enlarge, and then
 use the +/- magnifying glass
 to view full zise.

This fringe necklace of of drop diamonds, set with brilliants and baquettes, was designed by American jeweler Harry Winston and presented to the Queen by King Faisal in 1967 during his state visit to England. The Queen loaned the necklace to the Princess for her state visit to Australia in 1983.

Image © HM Queen Elizabeth II
Information Courtesy Leslie Field: "The Queen's Jewels:
The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II"
Published 1987 Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, NY.
 

 

The Queen's Pear Drop Earrings
The Queen's Pear Drop Earrings

Supersized Image. Click on 
image to enlarge, and then
use the +/- magnifying glass
to view full zise.

These pear drop earrings, in a modern gold setting, were comissioned from Garrard by the Queen, and made from family stones. The Queen loaned them for the first time to the Princess for her official visit to Australia in 1983.

Image © HM Queen Elizabeth II 
Information Courtesy Leslie Field: "The Queen's Jewels:
The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II"
Published 1987 Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, NY.

 

The Queen's Modern Baquettes and Brilliants Bracelet
 

The Queen's Bracelet


The Queen commissioned this bracelet from Garrards in 1982.
In 1983, she loaned it to the Princess for her state visit to Australia.

Image © HM Queen Elizabeth II
Information Courtesy Leslie Field: "The Queen's Jewels:The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II"
Published 1987 Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, NY.

 

The Queen Mary Art Deco Emerald & Diamond Choker
Queen Mary's Emerald Choker
          
Supersized Image. Click on 
image to enlarge, and then
use the +/- magnifying glass
to view full zise.
Originally made with sixteen of the Cambridge Emeralds as part of the 
Delhi Dubar parure, matching the necklace and bracelet, it was
remodeled for Queen Mary in the 1920's, using the same emeralds
and brilliant cut diamonds, but set in platinum in the Art Deco style.
 Inherited by the Queen in 1953, it was later presented to the 
Princess as a wedding gift.
                     
As an alternative to a tiara, the Princess wore the choker as a
bandeau, across her forehead, at a charity visit during her visit to
Australia in 1983. 
Image © HM Queen Elizabeth II 
Information Courtesy Leslie Field: "The Queen's Jewels:
The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II"
Published 1987 Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, NY.

 

The Swiss Federal Republic's Watch
The Swiss Federal Republic's Watch
The Swiss Federal Republic presented this specially designed platinum watch to the Queen in 1947, 
as a wedding gift. It was designed by Vacheron & Constantin, the world's oldest  watch  factory.  
The Queen gave the watch as a wedding gift to the Princess in 1981.

Image © www.dianapow.com 
Information Courtesy Leslie Field: "The Queen's Jewels:The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II"
Published 1987 Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, NY.

 

The Diamond Wedding Earrings
The Wedding Earrings
From the personal collection of the Hon. Mrs. Frances Shand Kydd, who loaned 
these to Lady Diana for her first appearance at Goldsmith's Hall following the 
announcement of her engagement to Prince Charles, and for her wedding day, 
as Diana's 'something borrowed'.
                     
The earrings are on display, along with the Princess' wedding gown and other 
items, in the exhibition "Diana-A Celebration".  Between July 1st and August 31 
of each year, the exhibition is  open at Althorp.
            
Image © Earl Spencer.

 

More To Come...

For further information on the jewels of Diana, Princess of Wales, visit the excellent website at dianasjewels.net .

 

Back To Top

Image Galleries

(More To Follow)

Diana:A Celebration Photo Portraits Funeral Evening Engagement Wedding

 

About Us

.This site is intended strictly as a restropective of the life of Diana, Princess of Wales.We have provided information to The Today Show, Good Morning America, the BBC, and People Magazine, along with several private projects. We are dedicated to accuracy, and it is not our intention to publish conspiracy theories about the death of the Princess, or unfounded rumors, stories, or allegations. The contents of this site are based on thirty years of extensive research, and we have a vast library of resources at our disposal. If you have a question about the Princess, and cannot find the answer among our pages, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to research your question and provide you with an accurate answer when possible

Contact

dianapow.com@gmail.com

Please email us for further contact information.

Join Us On Facebook